Embedded Software Engineer
NVC is looking for a full-time Embedded Software Engineer (Ref: 2024ESE01) with the ability, experience and knowledge in the definition, design, development, and testing of software in our new beam steering wireless systems. This role is required to work closely with most of our technical teams.
Duties & Responsibilities
- System Design and Software Development: Define the software architecture for beam-steering antenna arrays and baseband processing in wireless user terminals. Develop and implement software that integrates seamlessly with hardware to enable high-performance mmWave communication.
- Cross-functional Collaboration: Work closely with RF engineering, hardware design, and system integration teams to develop software solutions that enhance beam steering and signal processing across different subsystem architectures. Ensure software compatibility and optimization with antenna designs and RF front-end modules.
- Algorithm Development: Innovate and develop advanced algorithms for calibrating, testing, and operational efficiency of beam-steering antennas and baseband processing units. Focus on signal integrity, data throughput optimization, and power efficiency.
- Testing and Validation: Design comprehensive test plans and methodologies to validate the functionality and performance of software systems. Conduct simulation and real-world testing to ensure compliance with technical specifications and performance criteria.
- Technical Troubleshooting: Provide expert technical support to identify, diagnose, and resolve software and integration issues in development, manufacturing, and field deployment stages. Collaborate with quality assurance teams to address defects and ensure product reliability.
- Documentation and Reporting: Prepare detailed technical documentation, including design specifications, testing protocols, and user manuals. Document software development processes, algorithm descriptions, and system integration guidelines for internal and external stakeholders.
- Continuous Improvement: Engage in continuous learning and research to stay abreast of the latest developments in mmWave technology, software engineering practices, and industry standards. Propose and implement improvements to software processes and product designs to enhance performance and user experience.
- Additional Responsibilities: Perform related duties as assigned, which may include participating in new technology evaluation, contributing to patent applications, and supporting customer demonstrations.
Essential Knowledge & Skills
- Educational and Professional Experience: Candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree complemented by a minimum of 10 years of relevant industry experience or a Master's degree with at least 8 years of related experience, ideally in developing wireless communication systems or similar technologies.
- Programming and Development Expertise: Proficiency in C/C++ for embedded systems is crucial, with extensive experience in embedded Linux environments on ARM microprocessors. Familiarity with software version control systems, such as Git, is expected to facilitate collaborative development efforts.
- Embedded System Skills: Demonstrated ability in debugging, analysis, and testing on embedded platforms, with a keen understanding of real-time constraints. A solid background in standard communication interfaces and protocols is required, including RS-232, RS-422, Ethernet, SPI, UART, I2C, and FSK.
- Hardware Proficiency: Experience with bench test equipment (oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, signal generators, etc.) is essential. Candidates should also have expertise in circuit schematic design and PCB layout techniques.
- Wireless Communication Systems: A deep understanding of digital wireless communication principles, with specific knowledge of beam steering antenna arrays and modern wireless standards (e.g., IEEE 802.11, 3GPP). Experience in real-time software development for antenna tracking and digital communication systems will be highly valued.
- Signal Processing: Knowledge of signal processing algorithms and proficiency in MATLAB or Python (NumPy, SciPy) for the simulation and analysis of communication systems.
- Regulatory Knowledge: Familiarity with international regulatory standards and compliance requirements for wireless systems (e.g., FCC, ETSI) is important for ensuring product designs meet global market standards.
- Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills: Strong analytical skills and the ability to solve complex problems are essential. Candidates should be adept at troubleshooting system-level issues in embedded and wireless systems.
- Teamwork and Communication: Excellent teamwork and communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment are required. This includes collaborating with hardware engineers, RF engineers, and project managers to achieve project goals.
- Continuous Learning: A commitment to continuous professional development, with a willingness to stay abreast of the latest advancements in embedded systems, wireless communications, and mmWave technologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed
- Ability to prioritize, schedule, and execute activities to accomplish tasks efficiently
- Ability to multitask and manage more than one project at a time
Exceptional compensation package (£55k to £120k per annum, depends on experience), including competitive salary, share options, pension and bonus.
NVC NVC has its current R&D headquarters in Birmingham; NVC is considering opening an office in London.
Closing Date: 29/02/2023;
Number of Positions: 3
Experience – 10 years minimum
To apply for this position, please send your CV with a cover letter explaining how you meet the selection criteria to HRUK@novocomms.com. Due to the number of applications, we are only able to contact shortlisted candidates.
DOWNLOAD JOB SPECICATION
Click to download